12 to 24 months
What will I study?
Whilst studying an Apprenticeship you will work towards demonstrating your knowledge (at college) and competence (at work) in the following units:
Intermediate Apprenticeship units include:
- Working in the hair industry
- Following health and safety practice in the salon
- Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Cutting women's hair
- Colouring and lightening hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
Advanced Apprenticeship units include:
- Providing hairdressing consultation services
- Creating a variety of looks using a combination of cutting techniques
- Providing hair extension services
- Providing colour correction services
- Colouring hair using a variety of techniques
- Ensuring your actions reduce risks to health and safety
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed through observation, underpinning knowledge questions and the development of a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate competence. There is also a requirement to complete the following elements:employee rights and responsibilities workbook and personal learning and thinking skills.
GCSE Grade C (or equivalent) in Maths and English. Vocational Assessment required.
On successful completion of an Advanced Apprenticeship you can progress on to Higher Education and study for a Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate in Hair and Beauty Management. You could then progress onto a Foundation Degree in Hairdressing such as Advanced Hair and Salon Management.